Sunday, February 6, 2011

{people and paper}


There is something I just love about people.
(maybe that's why I wanted to become the pseudo professional best friend, i.e. hair stylist)
I love that you can go out into the world and connect with people you might not ever see again. But on that day, at that moment you had an interaction with another person with a heart, a family, a favorite color, a past, and a future.
I just love people. I can't not try and look into the eyes of the girl on the other side of the counter as I order my hamburger (ahem... I mean, salad with dressing on the side). She has dreams and hopes for her future. Saving money, picking up extra shifts. I got to smile and tell her hello and thank you.
It crosses my mind, the traditions and culture of the little asian couple that passed me on the street. Will they get married? Her father doesn't approve, but she loves him.
Or the guys working so hard at the car wash, all smile, sweat dripping down the side of his face. I later see him at target with his three small children. Two hanging half in, half out of the cart, the other by his daddy's side with his head cocked all the way back, arms stretched with box of jello in hand and begger face on. This guy has a family. Loves to kiss his kids goodnight. Proud of his son in t-ball. Cant believe how grown up his little princess is getting. And he and I made eye contact today.
I have so many wonderful people in my life that know and love me, and I get to really know and love. Relationships, friendships- they are just something I love.
My mother in law and brother in law are in town for a visit this week. So of course Debbie and I went to my favorite store- Paper source. We were there for an hour, happy as clams, looking at paper. While we were there, the women working there were so wonderful- and it's not just because they're paid to be. I love that. As we checked out, we spoke with one of the women who has a son who just got married, lives in CA. Her parents lived for a time in WA and she loves that green state too. It was just so refreshing to have someone else be so genuine and kind. (Hi Jan!)
I left there loving people, paper, and life a little more.
I just think we go through our days trying to hurry up to much to the next thing that we forget that the coffee we ordered was made by a person. The mail in my mail box was hand delivered by a person. The guy standing in this 8 degree weather to get to the train on time is a person.
So don't use the 'self-checkout' machine at the grocery store- wait in line and interact with checker. She could be my sister in law who has been standing there all day dealing with a lot of impatient people- and all she did was show up to work.
Like I said, I love people. I love fun paper. And I loved to day spent with family.

1 comment:

  1. Kel, I love that you truly do love people, you're a better person for it! I promise today when I get my groceries, I'm going to look the cashier in the eye!
    loveumore
    mom

    ReplyDelete